Visa & residence permit

Travel arrangements: apply for a Spanish student visa in France and residence permit upon arrival in Spain
Important note : Always carry a copy of your passport and visa in force when abroad in case of police control.

Please note that this information is just indicative and might be subject to changes at any moment.

COSI students from cohort 2015-2017 are expected to arrive in Granada on Monday 1st February 2016; an information meeting will be held with COSI Local Academic Coordinator for UGR, Prof. Juan Luis Nieves shortly after. Period of mobility (semester 2) will end around 8th of July (i.e. less than 6 month, providing you don’t undertake a summer internship in Spain).

Check out the UGR’s International Student Guide.

General info on immigration in Spain is available on this leaflet and on this webpage.

Detailed procedures for foreigners (including European citizens) coming to study at UGR are available in this webpage.

UGR will issue certificate of admission (/ invitation letters) in Spanish to all COSI students before application.

European citizens

Students who are citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland are not required to get a visa for Spain since they already have the right to residency, nor their are required to apply for a residence permit. However, the Consulate in Lyon informed us citizens from Croatia may be subject to some restrictions up to 01/07/2015. COSI students citizens of EU member country, from countries belonging to the EEA Agreement (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) or from the Swiss Confederation are however required to register, once in Spain, to Central Register of Foreign Citizens (Registro Central de Extranjeros) at the Main Office for Foreign Residents (Oficina de Extranjeros). Application form, supporting documentation and guidelies in english are available here. The “OFFICIAL ERASMUS STUDENT CREDENTIAL” will be issued by UGR in case certificates of admission issued by UJM and URG are not sufficient. You can provide a copy of the European health insurance card if you have one (recommend in addition to COSI health insurance) or the insurance certificate that has been sent to you by our insurance service provider Marsh.

Non-European citizens

Non-European COSI students may also enter Spain without the need of a visa, because they are registered in UJM, a European university., although it is recommended to apply for an entry visa. If COSI students didn’t apply to an entry visa, they should, immediately upon arrival, apply to be included in the Central Foreign Persons Register, following these instructions (link broken). Erasmus+ EMJMD and Consortium scholarships can serve as Accreditation of economic means, amount granted being mentioned in UGR’s certificate of admission (/invitation letters).

Non-EU citizens are however advised  to obtain a long term visa, notably if you plan to stay more than 6 months in Spain (for an internship during the summer 2016) for instance). You must in that case apply for a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of having entered Spain. Additional info are available here (link broken).

Despite the enlargement of the EU, the Schengen zone and general harmonization of regulations regarding movement within the EU, it is important to understand that most visa issues are under competence of national states, and therefore there are no single regulations and requirements for all European countries. Visas are managed by the Spanish Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation) through its consulates and embassies around the world.  You must apply for and obtain your visa through the Spanish consulate nearest to your residence before you travel. Personal appearance at the Spanish Consulate is required in order to submit the documentation. Since visas are never issued in Spain, you must apply for it before you leave your country of residency. Do not attempt to enter Spain without a visa if you need one. There is no emergency procedure, your embassy in Spain can’t help and you will probably be refused to entry.

In your case, you need to plan a trip to the Spanish consulate in Villeurbanne (Lyon):

1, Rue Louis Guérin

69100 Villeurbanne

04 78 89 64 15

Here is a map with direction from the train station “Lyon Part Dieu”:

No appointment is necessary, but opening hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM. We advise you to make a call before leaving to make sure the consulate is opened before leaving Saint Etienne.

Generally, you should apply for the visa at least two months before the expected date of departure. You must first have a valid passport with at least three months until expiry in order to apply, so be sure to allow adequate time to obtain or renew both the passport and get the visa application processed. Don’t leave this to the last minute or you put your travel plans at risk. Best is to start this process as soon as you have the OFII sticker delivered on your French visa.

For the application you must contact the consulate that has jurisdiction over your country of permanent residence to find out which procedure applies, i.e. the General Consulate in Lyon. Only them could give you accurate and up-to-date information on the exact type of visa you need to apply for, the process and documentation required. You can contact them at to be ready before visiting them.

For information only, documents usually required for the student visa are (this should be confirmed by the Consulate previous to your request):

  • Certificate of admission from the CIMET / COSI consortium;
  • Passport (validity covering at least your stay in Spain) =original + 1 hard copy, your passport will not be kept by the Spanish Consulate);
  • French student visa with French residence permit (OFFI sticker on your French visa) = original + 1 hard copy
  • University Jean Monnet student card: original + 1 hard copy
  • Public or private health insurance (the insurance company must be  authorized to operate in Spain
  • A medical certificate (of less than three months) stating that you are fit and healthy and that you do have any contagious diseases + 1 photocopy (in case the OFII medical certificate is not accepted, we can ask the doctor base at University Jean Monnet to produce a new one).
  • Your SMERRA “ Attestation d’affiliation à la sécurité sociale” + your CEAM card (Carte Européenne  d’Assurance Maladie) or the replacement certificate of the card + 1 photocopy.
  • Two Forms EX00 filled and signed. You can download those forms here in French or English.
  • Bank account statements (yours or your parent’s), payroll sheets, or any other documents to prove you have at least 531,52 €/month available during your stay in Spain. In case your a EMJMD schoarlishp holder, your admission letter / student agreement might help you to justify future source of income
  • An extract of criminal record (“bulletin 3 de casier judiciaire”) if your stay in Spain is longer than 6 months. You can request (for free) such a record online (click on “Commencer la procédure”), here for students born in Franceand there for students (including French nationals) not born in France. The record will be delivered to you by mail.

In addition, you should bring:

  • 60 EUR in cash (non-refundable fees);
  • 1 passports photo

Upon arrival in university of Granada, the Local Academic Coordinator Prof. Juan Luis Nieves will provide you guidance on what to do to obtain your residence permit.

For the temporary residence permit for non EU students you need to provide the following documents:
1) Valid passport.
2) Residence visa in force.
3) Certificate of criminal record* (that is, the police clearance certificate) issued by the authorities of the foreigner’s home country.
4) Some passport-size photographs.
5) Medical certificate* (certificado médico)
6) Proof of financial income to support you Turing the period of residence in Spain, such as pensions, work salaries… (Grant letter)
7) Proof of health assistance

*NOTE: The criminal record certificate and the medical certificate must be originals. Both documents were submitted during your application to get your Spanish Visa and you should have them back when you received your Visa (So those documents must be originals).

In Granada the student residence permit application is processed at the main Foreign Office at the Police Station located in Calle San Agapito 2 .

NB:  Rules for visa change often. While we’ll do our best to provide any guidance and supporting documentation you will need, undertaking in a timely fashion immigration procedures are ultimately your sole responsibility. Keep the administrative coordinator update of any issues face and help us to maintain this website information accurate and up to date by sending your feedback.

N.B.2: If you need a medical certificate, please ask your administrative coordinator to book a group appointment at the Médecine Préventive Universitaire (Tréfilerie campus, 10, Rue Tréfilerie). You’ll need to bring your vaccination certificate and OFII medical certificate).

Can my family come with me if I have a study visa? Yes. The family (spouse, common-law partner, and children under 18 or those with a disability who are not objectively able to provide for their own needs) of a study visa holder or applicant may apply for a visa to enter and stay in Spain for the same duration as the main applicant (student) visa holder.

In case of doubt, please contact Ms Sara Horcas: intlerasmus at, intlmobility at, intlerasmusmundus at (copy your administrative coordinator).

[last update =17/11/2015]