Housing options

Book a room / get a residence certificate

To allow you to request a visa, you need to produce a “residence certificate” to show during your visa application. That’s why you need to book a room in France beforehand .

University Jean Monnet offers a variety of housing options, at both public and private student residences. You can of course decide to rent a flat by your own to a private landlord, before or upon arrival. Note that in this case you’ll have to deal with the administrative process alone and we won’t be able to support you in concluding a contract nor dealing with potential issues arising from this contract.

Residence booking have to be done for at least a semester. Be careful because you cannot change residence after a week upon arrival (you would loose your deposit and 1 month advance notification is needed).

IMPORTANT: although we will do our best to help you communicate and book a room, the contract relationship with those private service providers and hence the final responsibility lies with the student. You need to contact the residence and make sure your room is actually book, irrespective of the certificate of residence you might received from the International Office.

If you wish to have a look to option before commuting yourself, it can be a good idea to go first in an hotel / residence for the first few days or your stay.

Options are (rent mentioned applied for the 2022/2023 academic year and is indicative only, they might be slightly revised in July 2022):

N.B.1. As an international student enrolled in a Higher Education Institution in France, you are eligible to the student housing allowance called “APL”, generally around 160€ for a studio and 100€ for a room (actual amount depends on each particular situation). Therefore exact monthly rent to be paid, once the housing allowance is deducted, cannot not be planned precisely.
The APL is calculated from the date of deposit of your application at the CAF (“Caisse Allocations Familiales”) and paid monthly on your French bank account.
A translated and certified copy of your birth certificate (in French) will be required to deposit your student housing benefit application. This can be done in France upon arrival.

N.B.2 Considering expenses to be made upon arrival (deposit, registration fees, home insurance, installation costs, …) it is advised to students to plan at least 1000 € of housing expenses the first week of arrival. It is also advise not to arrive on a Sunday (no help desk) and considering you will probably have to do shopping before settling down (no bed linen in some residence). Shops are closed on Sundays in France.

N.B.3 The home insurance can be contracted from our banking partner upon arrival in France.

[last updated = 07/10/2020]